You are here
Murrumbidgee - Ginninderra Gorges National Park: Information Note 45
There is one event and two petitions that may interest you:
- Co-existence: Recognizing and respecting Indigenous rights in planning? Monday, 25 July 2016 - 5:30pm to 7:00pm at Ann Harding Conference Centre, Building 24, University of Canberra.
- Save the Murrumbidgee River Corridor
- Petition to stop the destruction of the Murrumbidgee River corridor before it's too late.
First of all a quick overview.
The ACT government has approved the rezoning of the land in West Belconnen to allow urban development in this area. Riverview advises that they will start development on the Strathnairn side.
The Yass Valley Council is still reviewing the development application to re-zone the NSW side. The Ginninderra Catchment Group has put forward two alternative boundary options. Please see Draft Discussion Paper: Alternative Reserve Options - Ginninderra Creek Murrumbidgee River Peninsula Reserve for details.
Our focus has always been to establish a public park encompassing the Murrumbidgee and Ginninderra Gorges. The new park in both NSW and the ACT has to include all areas of natural beauty, ecological importance and cultural significance - Aboriginal and European. Secondly the new park has to be well managed. This will be the theme for our next public meeting.
Spring 2016 Public meeting: AGM and Candidates Forum
The public meeting will be at the Cook Community Hub, 41 Templeton St Cook on Tuesday 6 Sep from 4:30pm, for the AGM, then, from 5:15pm to 7:30pm, for a Candidates Forum. Candidates for the ACT and Yass Valley Council elections will be invited for a Q&A style panel discussion.
By no means intended to be restrictive, questions could cover:
- the adequacy of the park boundary
- the very narrow NSW sections near the Ginninderra Falls
- the lack of a clear simple border to help manage fire and domestic pets and to provide easy corridors for native species and adequate views for park visitors
- the adequacy of the park management
- the ACT government has to agree to arrangements for servicing the NSW section and this will include the new park
- the ACT government has to manage the new park in the ACT area but has not indicated any support for Riverview's public trust proposal.
I have prepared a survey, Conservation corridors around Ginninderra Falls, to help inform the discussion. Please complete the survey before the Candidates Forum and, secondly, forward this on to others who may be interested.
If you are a candidate for either the upcoming ACT or Yass Valley Council elections and you would like to be on the panel, please send an email to email@example.com.
(for the Ginninderra Falls Committee)